Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Trying Something New: Hip Shaking ZUMBA


I'm a runner. I like the way that sounds. I'm going to say that again: I'm a runner.

But here's the thing about running: If you do it a lot, it's hard on your body. I run at least 20 miles a week and I'm 40 years old and I've had 2 kids. I have my usual aches and pains, sure, but what is happening to me now is that running is putting stress on my hips. Not my hip bones, per say, but all of those muscles that surround them. Pretty much every day they are sore, stiff and in need of major stretching.

I talked with my doc about this because there is no way I'm going to stop running and he advised that while running is great for your legs and glutes, it doesn't do much to strengthen your core or your hip flexors so he suggested I try to vary my routine. I asked him, have you met me? I don't like change.

Still, faced with the option of burning out my hips or really causing an injury to myself I decided to check out my choices: Swimming? Too cold. Weights? No. Wait a minute, what was that thing my boss told about that she loved so much? It was kind of like dancing? There was salsa music? Oh yeah. Zumba. Let's look into that.



Doesn't that look like fun? IT IS!

I took a Zumba class. Yes it took a few weeks to learn the moves and yes I felt kind of silly when I went in the wrong direction and yes it takes a little while to get used to shaking your groove thing in a room full of strangers but..

Yes this was the most fun form of exercise I've ever tried and yes I feel great when it's done and yes dancing makes your spirit feel lighter.I worked up a sweat, worked my hips and my abs and felt more like I was having a good time than working out. It also made it easier to rock the treadmill when I've had a break for a couple of days. When is the last time you tried something new? What was it? Weren't you happy?

Thank you to P&G’s Have You Tried This Yet? program and Kroger for sponsoring my writing about trying new things and breaking out of my everyday routine. Click here to find great savings on high-performing P&G products at a Kroger store near you. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment